At one point or another, we are all faced with the inevitable wedding invitation. And whether it is a close friend hosting a black tie affair, or a distant cousin having a low-key farm wedding, we are faced with the decision of what to wear. This summer, I have the honor of attending three different friends’ weddings in three different styles. I figured it would provide a perfect opportunity to address what I chose to wear and why, in the hopes of easing your decision making process as you get ready for the next big occasion.
For the first July wedding in Vancouver, I wore a Kate Spade skirt that I picked up years ago at Secondi consignment shop in Washington, D.C.. With a big bow at the waist and gold trim at the bottom, I chose the skirt as the centerpiece of my ensemble. In acknowledgment of the heat, I paired it with a stretchy Banana Republic black cowl neck tee, made of material that is comfortable and machine washable. To jazz it up a bit, I chose my Donald J Pliner criss-crossed heels, adding a twinge of sexy to an otherwise conservative outfit.
Ok, so you might be thinking– it all looks good on paper, but how did it fare at the wedding? The mix of the stretchy top with the high waisted skirt felt spacious (not too tight), while still being appropriate. I liked the twirl factor of the skirt while I was making moves on the dance floor. The shoes added that necessary twinge of fun, and despite the high heels, given their strappy, stretchy nature, I was able to wear them the whole evening without any soreness.
- Don’t discount the use of your favorite skirt in an event ensemble. Dresses are not your only option.
- Choose shoes that are fun AND comfortable.
- If you can’t dance in it, don’t wear it.
- Choose pieces that are breathable and machine washable if possible.
- Pair together pieces in your closet that you love. You don’t have to go out and buy something new every time an occasion pops up.
- Use it as an opportunity to break out of your comfort zone and have some fun.
Look out for wedding dressed: parts two and three coming your way this August!